Sunday, June 13, 2010

13-06-10

Not a lot of excitement today, I looked at an apartment but otherwise just hung out or worked on my presentation to show my work to the lab here. I think I'll probably be renting the apartment I saw, its reasonably priced and super close to where I'm working, less than a 5 minute walk.

I went to a Subway today which is probably a bit funny to people who know how often I used to have Subway for lunch at Drexel. It was mostly like a US Subway except they had less bread types and the cheese was different. I've heard different parts of the US have different cheese options at Subway as well. So they had here Cheddar, English, and Swiss as opposed to Provolone, American, and Swiss. I had never heard of "English" cheese before, and amusingly its basically the same thing as American cheese.

One weird occurrence, three times now I've seen police roadblocks for doing random breathalyzers. I think this must have to do with the world cup, in part because these are always going on in the morning which makes sense if you consider the european games are live here starting at 4:30 am or so. People get drunk early in the morning and then drive I suppose.

I've been thinking of keeping a running tally of Australian things and their American counterparts, so I'll start today.

Ute = Pickup truck
Way Out = Exit
Take Away = Take out / To go
Booking = Ticket
Bottle Shop = Liquor Store
Capsicum = Roasted red peppers
Toilets = Restrooms/Bathrooms (This may not seem weird in concept but you'd never see a sign pointing to "Toilets" in the US)
Hungry Jacks = Burger King
Donut King = Dunkin Donuts
English Cheese = American Cheese

2 comments:

  1. Good luck with the apartment. I was thinking I should go to the dollar store and buy a couple pairs of flip flops and send them to you. Maybe you could sell them and make back some of that $50 you had to spend to get your pair. I don't understand how a pair of flip flops could cost so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. like the the counterparts, it is so interesting to be in other cultures. what is the word for ordering a beer at a bar? i use to know this. once you have a VB you will never want to drink an american beer.

    ReplyDelete